Writing is my primary creative talent; I take pleasure in all forms of storytelling, from advertising to website copy.
I spent most of 2017 on sabbatical (Jan – Aug 2017) writing my first book (I shared my notes on planning a sabbatical here). In September 2015, I won two awards at the Festival of Writing in York (details over here) and the book I’m currently working on grew out of those awards.
I regularly publish nonfiction articles and blogs on various platforms, including LinkedIn and my client’s blog rolls. Mostly, I write about subjects I have plenty of personal experience in – luxury adventure travel, Africa’s top destinations and pinnacle experiences, and innovations and thought leadership in digital content production that I find challenging or inspiring.
I’m always interested in opportunities to collaborate on writing projects in my areas of expertise – travel, Africa and digital marketing – you can reach me via email@example.com.
I worked at Go2Africa between 2013 – 2016, here is a selection of some of my favourite pieces that were published on their blog:
- Gorilla Trekking 101
- How to Recognise a Good Travel Deal
- Boat, Kayak and Hike the Congo
- Zimbabwe Rises Again
- How to have Ethical Animal Encounters in Africa
Before switching to digital, I published articles in traditional print magazines:
- September 2011 Child’s Play: “Fit Family, Well Family”
- May 2011 Child’s Play: “Little Stars – Special Needs Kids Uncover Shining Potential”
- Spring 2008 AA Traveller: “Kenya – Africa’s Original Safari Destination”
- Spring 2007 AA Traveller: “Botswana – Where the Wild Things Are”
- November 2005 Cape Etc: “Biodiversity and Wine Initiative”
- February 2005 Renaissance: “Kilimanjaro”
- January 2005 African Geographic: “Kilimanjaro”
- December 2004 Cape Town’s Child: “The Great Family Road Trip”
- June 2004 Cape Etc: “Ben about Town”
From 2006 to 2008, I was the Business Development Manager for House and Leisure Magazine, one of South Africa’s most enduring and stylish contemporary decor magazines.
From 2000 to 2003, I was the features writer for two destination marketing publications, both print:
- Botswana Focus (annual glossy)
- The African Sporting Gazette and International Traveller (quarterly glossy)
My first feature script, a horror titled Feast – a cautionary tale was written with the support of a development grant from the National Film & Video Foundation in 2013.
I secured a place on the SPARK screenwriting programme for emerging voices in film and completed the six-month course in 2014.